Listen To The Rick Limpert Podcast

Rick Limpert is a broadcast journalist that covers the intersection of both sports and technology, with his online platform, The Tech Of Sports. While that mostly covers how technology works alongside athleticism, there’s an additional aspect. Health is crucial to sports, which is why when Rick Limpert decided to look at how health and technology were working together, he talked to Richard Rakowski. Mr. Rakowski is the CEO of the Medically Home Group, Inc., and he was invited to talk about the Medically Home initiative and the ways that patient-centric care is now being deployed as a home hospital.

An Introduction To The Virtual Hospital

The podcast let Richard Rakowski introduce the public to what is rapidly becoming the next great leap in hospital treatment, the “virtual hospital.” Because of the automobile, and emergency services like the ambulance, everyone assumes that when you need medical treatment, you need to go where the facilities are to get treated.

However, in the past, the “housecall,” especially in smaller, rural areas, was a far more common occurrence. Doctors made the rounds, visiting patients at home to receive medical diagnosis and sometimes even treatment. Today the assumption is that people can simply drive to a medical center, or get taken there by ambulance in the event of an emergency. That, however, is not always the best way or even a cost-effective way to receive medical treatment or recovery.

Technology advances have made professional-grade medical equipment more portable. Evaluating certain patients for feasibility, and incorporating modern, Internet-ready devices to provide remote monitoring and communication is now more feasible. The “virtual hospital” can take professional medical treatment and recovery out of the hospital and move it into the home for patients that are evaluated and found to qualify.

Making A Difference

Part of Richard Rakowski’s dedication to Medically Home stems from his own experiences. He lost his father to a medical error after being admitted to a hospital, and while he was trying to understand how that happened, he discovered many disturbing facts about the current American medical healthcare system. For example, 65% of a hospital’s budget is consumed by “brick and mortar” concerns of maintaining building overheads, leaving only 35% of the remaining budget for actual medical treatment.

The virtual hospital eliminates these expenses, giving people the patient-centric care they deserve. Listen to the podcast to hear more about how Medically Home is changing the healthcare landscape.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *