Virtual Hospitals and Acceptability

A virtual hospital or is a revolutionary new approach to treating patients suffering from acute medical conditions. In the Medically Home Program a team of healthcare professionals come into the patient’s house to set up and manage a temporary hospital. The novel approach to health care has benefits across the board for patients, healthcare providers, and payers. Patients receive the same level of care they would in a medical care facility but within the comfort of their own home.

Today hospitals are used primarily for convenient access to advanced technology in multiple fields, outpatient surgeries, and emergency rooms use. But with those technological advances also comes flexibility. Enter the virtual hospital.

A study by Burton, Leff, et al. shows that 72.3% of patients would pick the virtual hospital option if it were available. The other 27.7% appeared to be unsure of the practice due to a few reasonable concerns including…

• The Severity Of The Person’s Condition
• Prior Experiences With Home Health Agencies
• The Burden Of Care On Friends And Family Members
• And The Patient’s Current Living Condition

More Numbers from the Research

The same study also reveals that 78.5% of participants believe that they’d be more comfortable receiving care at home rather than staying at a hospital. And 62.5% of those surveyed felt that they would be less likely to receive an infection or disease in the virtual hospital setting.

Other factors driving interest in the virtual hospital include increased stress, risk of iatrogenic illness, and dependency.